Stream Audio: Broadcast Experience, Digital Execution
Why Stream Audio Ads?
There are three major advantages of streaming audio vs the terrestrial radio counterpart:
- The user experience is different with streaming audio. With pure-play music services like Pandora or Spotify, the listener is in control. This control is leading digital audio to overtake time spent with radio in 2020.
- Advertisers can more accurately measure the reach, frequency, brand lift, and ROAS of digital audio.
- Digital targeting in audio advertising is superior to targeting in terrestrial radio in practically every way. The geographic targeting can be significantly more granular and you can find your demographic or interest-based target with much less waste.
The growth of streaming audio has brought advertisers a plethora of options for ensuring that their most profitable consumer is receiving the message.
Targeting with Audio Advertising
Below are the common ways we can target listeners via streaming audio:
- Format (Music, Talk, News, Sports)
- Music Genre (Country, Hip Hop, R&B, etc)
- Geography (Country, State, DMA, City, Zip)
- IP Address
- Domain (.edu, .gov, .org)
- Registration Data
- Device (Computer, Tablet, Mobile)
In comparison, below are the ways terrestrial radio allows advertisers to target:
- Buying demographics (based on survey and consumer diaries)
- Format (music, talk, news, sports)
- Music genre (country, hip hop, R&B, etc.)
- Geography (DMA)
Streaming audio’s capabilities from a targeting standpoint allow brands to limit waste, increase their understanding of who is really reacting to their message and when, and enhance the listener experience through meaningful and timely communication.
The Audio Advertising Opportunity
Streaming audio is growing and has significant reach, but it shouldn’t replace a traditional terrestrial radio strategy entirely. As the points above demonstrate, the real mountain mover for brands is when both terrestrial radio and streaming audio are brought into the overall campaign.
While streaming audio benefits through advanced targeting options, stronger reporting and analytics, and a more engaged consumer listening and interacting with the medium, its greatest strength comes from the fact that it offers advertisers an immediate and actionable platform for listeners to engage with their :30s/:60s radio spots.